Buying wholesale is easy!
Wholesale prices are always 40% off the retail price no matter if you sell the books, give them away, or use them yourself. And, for your convenience, the buying process is straightforward and easy. The 40% discount you receive is your 40% commission when you sell the books.
The math is easy, so you can effortlessly figure your cost and profits.
You pay: $6 ea. You sell: $10 ea. You profit: $4 ea. (40% commission)
Please Note – You must have 16 books in your cart before the price reduces to $6 each.
For those interested in the bookseller industry standard:
- Huge booksellers, such as Barnes & Noble, make 40% commission on the books they sell – the same commission as you.
- Amazon 3rd party sellers (vendors) make 10-15% commission.
- Independent book publishers (that’s what we are at WAA) typically pay their booksellers (aka vendors, sellers, retailers, hostesses, ambassadors) 15-30% commission.
At Wild About Animals, the only difference between buying retail and buying wholesale is the number of books you buy, and of course, the prices. Anyone can buy wholesale. However, the minimum order to get the wholesale price is 16 books (any combination of books) which is $96 worth. Otherwise, you must pay the retail price. Whether you buy retail or wholesale, standard shipping is always free.
- 1 book is $10 (full retail price)
- 2 – 15 books is $8 each (20% off)
- 16 or more books is $6 each (40% off, aka wholesale)
The recommended Retail Price (aka List Price) is $10 (or $9.99); however, you can set your retail price to be anything you want. With over 20 years of experience selling various products to the public, it is highly recommended that if you change the recommended $10 List Price, that you go down in price, not up. Many sales newbies think the higher the price they set, the more profit they will make, e.g., a $14 retail price will yield an $8 profit instead of $4. This logic seems reasonable, but in practice, it usually backfires because a retail price that might seem overpriced to your customer will kill your sales.
- 10 books sold at $10 = $40 profit in 1 week; 40 books in 4 weeks = $160 profit
- 10 books sold at $14 = $80 profit but it takes 4 weeks to make that $80 profit
Whenever we publish a new book, everyone who has made a wholesale purchase within the last 12 months will receive a free copy of it, postage paid.
Example: if your last (or only) wholesale purchase was May 2, 2018, you will receive a copy of all new books we publish within that year (May 2, 2018 through May 2, 2019), no matter how many books we publish that year.
Each time you make a wholesale purchase, your ‘start date’ to receive free books for a year moves ahead to that date.
If you are outside of Texas, you will owe no sales tax.
If you are in Texas, state law requires us to collect tax in any of these 3 situations:
- all retail sales (any amount less than 16 books)
- wholesale purchases in which the books are not for resale (you will give them away or use them)
- wholesale purchases in which the books are for resale, but you do not have a resale certificate or are not tax exempt
If you are in Texas, and any one of the 3 situations above are true for you, the shopping cart will automatically add sales tax. If you are exempt from paying state tax, you will be asked to email your resale/tax-exempt certificate before placing your order on the registration page. There is an online resale certificate for your convenience. Once you send the form, it will be kept on file, so there is no need to send it again the next time you order.
Standard shipping is free; however, you can upgrade to Priority Mail, and we’ll pay half of that for you. Shipping is an expense for us, so your entire order must go to the same address.
- State Park Gift Shops
- Zoological Park Gift Shops
- Nature/Natural History/Animal-Themed Gift Shops
- Bird Feed Stores
- Audubon Society meetings
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Centers
- Bird, Butterfly, or any Nature-Themed Festival
- Kids camps, scouts
- Any group that wants a fundraiser or items to add to their fundraisers
- Any book selling event
- Veterinarian or other office*
- Any enterprising family or individual can sell books
*Do you have an office or waiting room? We’ll send you a FREE laminated book label, so you can let the books sell themselves while your customers are waiting. Simply tape it to the book’s front cover. It’s laminated so it will stay clean and hold up during use. If you want to keep your counters free or just circulate one book in the office, this is a great way to do so. Plus, it reminds people not to walk off with it. You can keep your book stock behind the counter till someone asks for one. To get a label, ask for 1 or 2 in the special instructions box at checkout.
Book label sample.
Our company is truly a fledgling one. We only have two books, but many more are coming! In 2018, “What’s Dat, Mama?” our first children’s book will be published. It’s a cute story of a Mama Bird teaching her Baby Bird about the common birds that come to their feeder. “Think You Know Birds?” will also come out in 2018. We are also working on “True Texas Wildlife Tales” – a book in which you can write a chapter and get your story and name published.
We invite you to join us, grow with us, and get involved in our endeavor to educate others about the wonders of our precious native wildlife. In the process, you will not only learn more about wildlife (and domestic animals), but you will earn a little extra spending money and get free books to boot!